Why learn with Pops?
I sometimes have people say "Pops you charge more than my local teacher."
Yes but there is a big difference.
- I am world famous for teaching and have been mentioned in magazines and books written by other teachers.
- I have helped players to become full-time Professional Players.
- I am the first person to ever write about The Aperture Tunnel (TM).
- I am the first to both explain and give musical exercises to learn about Lip Setpoint (TM).
- I am the first to write about different embouchure systems as a 3-D model (Farkas, Maggio, Overlap, Stevens, Superchops, TCE.)
- I am the first to write about the 4 Trumpet Octave Keys (TM) relaxing enough so that mouthpiece seal raises pitch an octave, Air stream Focus (TM), Air Kicks (support), and correct lip compression; which are used by pro players but almost no hobby players use them.
- I have written about which facial muscles to use and which ones hinder playing. This enables you to play and be relaxed, when you stop the facial tug of war.
- I wrote about and connected the SS or hiss to tongue arch and wrote about how arch relates to anchor tonguing.
- I created a new way to hold the trumpet that helps to reduce mouthpiece pressure.
- I developed a new way to reduce facial tension in ONE day.
- I did the 1st rewrite of music to The Arban Book in 150 years and brought the techniques into the 21st Century.
- I am the 1st person to do a Thermal Imaging study of people while they were playing trumpet.
- I am the 1st to do a study on resonance and spectral analysis of the entire Trumpet Family, Flugel, cornet, Bb, C, Eb, Picc and on how embouchure tension relates to resonance.
You have a choice.
You can take lessons from the man that discovered, perfected and has taught these concepts to thousands, including pro players...or you can take lessons from somebody who may or may not have even read about those ideas.
The difference is BIG.
I met "POPS" on the Internet and he helped me through some frustrating problems that I was struggling with on the horn.
Pops is one cool trumpet teacher. Here I am, a long time student of Claude Gordon and what's my problem?? Tongue levels!! Pops diagnosed me right away and helped me out tremendously in a short time. Thanks!!~
Hey Pops, keep up the good work. Even us "old pros" need a little help every now and then. I check in with your site regularly. Thanks.
Pops: I'm so glad I got your books - some great stuff in there for every trumpet player!!! Keep up the great work!!!
Many, many thanks to you and your knowledge of the trumpet and the embouchure. It has helped me immeasurably since my lesson with you!
Curry Precision Mouthpieces - http://www.currympc.com and former lead trumpet player with Woody Herman, and Ray Charles.
Pops: You have single-handedly given me the confidence and the ability to meet - EXCEED my wildest dreams. When I first came to you I never would have believed I would tour with Maynard Ferguson!!!
Clint McLaughlin is one of the leading experts on embouchure. His books discuss many of the embouchures used by leading trumpet players. I consider his publications excellent resources! Regents' Professor of trumpet at Arizona State University, past President of the International Trumpet Guild and author of "Trumpet Pedagogy" and "Trumpet Greats" (I am in both books.)
It was only after reading/playing your books, did I get the range thing!
Check out Pop's trumpet books. This guy knows what he is talking about and can write it!!!! Thanks for all your intelligent advice.
I think you're doing a great service for the brass community. I once heard that the art of teaching is in finding out how to explain the same thing in different ways to have it hit home for each individual student.
You have said two things which have really helped me and have brought about an instant improvement in my trumpet playing. It's all 20% easier! So thanks again for your positive contribution to the brass world.
Thank you so much for the copy of the embouchure book. It is absolutely wonderful!!!
May be the most complete book on embouchure ever compiled
You have done trumpet players a wonderful service!
Author of several trumpet method books including The Truth About How To Play Double High C On Trumpet
This whole didgeridoo thing had me intrigued. So I ordered one and to my surprise, I couldn’t get a note (drone) out the thing for the first 1/2 hour. Geez – here I am thinking I am playing so relaxed. I can drone now and of course when I pick up the trumpet the sound is much fatter and more vibrant. It will take some practice – but thanks – a real eye opener for me. I will certainly recommend the ebook to guys.
Thanks again Jim Manley
PS – The New Arban’s book is a b*itch!
As usual, extremely well-thought-out, and in great detail… bravo for a job well done….You should have a DMA for all this work you’ve been doing!
If they don’t get it from reading this; then they should take up the sax. Leon Merian Recording Artist & Author of Trumpet Isometrics.