- I Got Rhythm Lew Custode 1:46
- Java Lew Custode 1:59
- Maynard introducing Keith Fiala at a gig Kieth Fiala 0:25
- What is hip? Keith Fiala 0:53
- Let's stay together Keith Fiala 0:50
- Nights without you Keith Fiala 0:38
- Downtown Keith Fiala 0:39
- Chaos - Japanese Style Anne King 1:46
- Message From Ararat Anne King 3:04
- Maynard Ferguson in G Roddy Lewis 0:12
- Uptown trumpet sounds blues Roddy Lewis 0:56
- China Boy Tommy Loy 1:13
- South Tommy Loy 0:19
- I've got a crush on you Tommy Loy 1:02
- Lime house blues Tommy Loy 0:35
- Dallas blues Tommy Loy 1:07
- My Funny Valentine - part 1 Brandon Lusk 1:20
- My Funny Valentine - part 2 Brandon Lusk 0:34
- South of the border Brandon Lusk 0:38
- Big night in cowtown Brandon Lusk 0:19
- Jingle bells Brandon Lusk 0:45
- Let it snow Brandon Lusk 0:31
- Pops wit da Chops Rex Merriweather 0:44
- Scirocco Storm - Part 1 Rex Merriweather 0:23
- Scirocco Storm - part 2 Rex Merriweather 0:35
- Home on the Upper Range - part 1 Rex Merriweather 0:38
- Home on the Upper Range - part 2 Rex Merriweather 0:11
- Home on the Upper Range - part 3 Rex Merriweather 0:33
- Kurt's Double C Trumpet sounds Blues Kurt Schulenburg 0:50
- Georgia - part 1 John von Wetzel 0:25
- Georgia - part 2 John von Wetzel 0:36
- A child is born John von Wetzel 0:31
- Stardust - part 1 Keith Wood with The Jack Mitchell Praise Band 0:46
- Stardust - part 2 Keith Wood with The Jack Mitchell Praise Band 0:52
- Love of God Keith Wood with The Jack Mitchell Praise Band 0:42
- Carnival of Venice Keith Wood 1:25
- Alla Hornpipe Keith Wood (pic), Ken Lake (pic) and Ernest Whitmore (organist) - The Lakewood Trio 1:27
- Bach Brandenburg #2 Third mov Keith Wood (pic), The Baroque Chamber Players. 3:30
- Vivaldi Concerto for 2 Trumpets Third mov Keith Wood - The Lakewood Trio. 3:39
- Petrouchka Student 0:34
- Pictures at an exhibition Student 0:40
- Hummel Student 0:40
- Toreador Student 0:35
- Another Toreador Student 0:26
- Waltz Student 0:30
- Song Student 0:42
- Carinval of Venice Student 1:01
- Arban exercise Student 0:20
- Arban 125-2 octaves (everybody plays this here) Student 0:22
- Arban 125-2 octaves Student 0:37
Lew is from NY and he came down asking me to help him sound like Al Hirt. Lew is very busy with his Dixie Band and his small group.
Keith is very busy in the Austin, Texas area. He plays with Memphis Train a hot R&B group. Keith did 2 tours with Maynard Ferguson and the BBNB. He told me that he is having the time of his life playing with the BOSS everyday. Keith is in the busiest band in the Austin area Memphis Train Revue.
Anne is a pro in L.A. and has toured with Guns and Roses, recorded and performed with Sheena Easton, Don Henley, K.D. Lang, Jennifer Lopez, Stevie Wonder and many others. Anne also plays lead in my student Rex Merriweather’s big band. They are known for big trumpet sounds. That shows you Anne is one mean player.
I received this email from Roddy and I had to include him.
Hi ya from Wales UK!
How are you?
Would you consider adding a trumpet sound clip from me to your pupils page? I know we’ve never met but it was only after reading/playing your books did I get the range thing!
I assure you that it was only your book (and Mr. Jacoby’s) which gave me the help I needed.
If another teacher put up a page with clips on I would not consider sending a clip.
I would be honoured if you would consider me a pupil (albeit a remote one!) : )
Yours Roddy o-iii
Look at Roddy’s website
Where Roddy has a new book on embouchure self analysis called “Embouchure Enhancement”.
Our dear friend Tommy Loy has passed away. Tommy Loy was very well known in the Dallas area. Tommy was the trumpet player who played the Star Spangled Banner as a solo at every Dallas Cowboy game for 22 years (Including a Super Bowl).
Tommy was a great big band player but his love was Dixieland.
Tommy had a radio show every Monday night at 7pm on KEZY radio at http://www.KXEZ.com It is our hope that they continue to play some of Tommy’s old recordings.
These clips are from a CD with Jon Stutler on Clarinet. The CD Razzmajazz is available at http://www.razzmajazz.com
Also see my page on Tommy.
Brandon plays in several groups here in Dallas. Brandon is playing on Monette equipment on these clips. These clips are with Cowboys and Indians who have a couple of CDs out.
The Christime tunes are Brandon with the Ricki Derek Vegas Six. This is a popular group here and yes they do play in Vegas from time to time. These clips are from their Christmas CD available at http://www.rickiderek.com.
Rex is a strong lead player who can be heard all over LA. He also does some work in Vegas. Rex is constantly pushing the limits of the trumpet. From Chase to Classical up 2 octaves nothing is off limits. These are clips from Rex’s CD called Chased. Rex overdubbed all of the trumpet and keyboard parts. Rex can be reached at http://bigbandrockparty.com/
Kurt received a degree in Music Education from Lawrence University in Appleton Wisconsin in 1979. He has played a bunch of stuff behind some name artists, done some professional time on the sax and currently plays in the Sinful Saints Dixieland Band (on Soprano Saxello). He is also the Assistant Conductor of the Crystal Lake Community Band where he plays more trumpet than anything else. Equipment: Holton Cornet (student model with Shepherd’s Crook) and a Schilke 14A4X mouthpiece. Check out Kurt’s web page.
John Von Wetzel
John is a true comeback player. And his return to the trumpet has been fun to watch. John currently plays with the Richland College Big Band, a jazz sextet called Hangtime and at Stonebriar Community Church (pastor Chuck Swindoll). He has also played in the Texas Instruments Big Band and the Pecos River Big Band. John played all of the parts on these clips. His trumpet is a gold plated Flip Oakes Wild Thing with a 13B4a Schilke mouthpiece. John also used a Kanstul Flugelbone and a Roland PMA5 with a Roland XP50 Synthesizer.
Keith went to UNT and has done lots of playing in Nashville and later in Branson. Keith also studied with my old teacher Don “Jake” Jacoby. (Yes I have many of “Jakes'” students taking lessons from me.) Keith is currently working on some recordings. http://jmbandnwa.com/soloists/.